Why USA stores don't have a good selection of cameras to try?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MaciekPruski
Forum MemberPosts: 69Gear list
Like?
Why USA stores don't have a good selection of cameras to try?
4 months ago

There was a lot of talk recently about the drops in camera sales.

Well.. I have been in USA for a couple of months and I must say that it is hard to try a camera in store here! Even the large electronics stores, they have tiny camera departments, dominated by Nikon and Canon DSLRs as well as a couple of random P&S cameras and maybe one or two mirrorless from sony without a good selection of lenses and accessories.

That is a huge difference compared to what I see in Europe. I am from Poland which is not the richest European country by any means, but just two weeks ago when I was visiting my hometown I went to the mall and I have to say they have a fantastic selection of cameras and some good deals.

They have pretty much all the superzoom/bridge cameras, virtually all the high-end compacts, a  large selection of mirrorless from Olympus, Sony, Panasonic and Samsung with lenses as well, some tough cameras and DSLRs from NIKON, CANON and SONY SLT. Also, the staff usually know what they are talking about. This also translates to sales- I know quite a few of my friends who have various high-end P&S and mirrorless models even though they are very " amateur" and use them mostly for snapshots.

I am guessing that the camera companies have a tough time getting their cameras in stores in the USA. Not everyone buys online, and it is probably harder to convince someone that they need a stylish compact or mirrorless if they can't see it and touch it

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow