Started 8 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
nnowak
Contributing MemberPosts: 519
Like?
Very good, but...
8 months ago

I currently own all 4 of the EF-M lenses that are available at the time of writing this review.  Similar to the other lenses in the system, the new 55-200mm STM lens has very good optical quality and complements the rest of the system quite well.  For a short time I also owned the older Version II 55-250mm EF-S lens and this new EF-M lens is significantly better.

The lens is really compact and much smaller than I had expected.  If you take the lens caps off of the EF-M 22mm and EF-M 18-55mm and stack them face to face, this is almost identical to the size of the EF-M 55-200mm lens.

The only downside is construction.  The EF-M 55-200mm lens is solid, zooms smoothly and has no wobble in the extending barrel.  However, where all previous EF-M lenses have been built with metal exteriors and metal mounts, this new lens is all plastic.  I am sure this lens will hold up just fine, and this is a superficial complaint, but this lens just doesn't have the same premium "feel" of the prior lenses.  This lens is also the most expensive of the bunch which is also tough to swallow given the appearance of "cheaper" construction.

If this lens was all metal like its siblings, I wouldn't have a single complaint.

nnowak's score
Average community score
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow