The Sky Really Is Falling

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
jkoch2
Contributing MemberPosts: 787
Like?
What "normal levels" ?
In reply to T3, 2 months ago

T3 wrote:

I'm not saying that photography is a fad. I'm just saying that the phenomenon of everyone buying digital cameras was a fad. Now that the fad has passed, not "everyone" is going to buy a digital camera. Now it's just going to be the people who are real into photography who are going to buy the cameras. Like how it was before, back in the film days and in the early days of digital photography.

Prior to digital cameras, Canon, Nikon, Kodak, and others sold lots of P&S cameras and a fair sum of range finder or SLR gear.

Phone cameras have now displaced perhaps 95% of the demand for P&S cameras.  The quality and versatility even gnaw into the professional market.  Look at all the "apps" developed around smart phones that facilitate news gathering or event coverage.

The market for high-end gear could become very tiny and require very high prices to be sustainable.  Meanwhile, there will be millions of DSLR cameras sold between 2007 and 2013 that owners may never have a need to upgrade.

BTW, one also sees disproportionate boxes of returned D3300's or T5i's at Costco.  Apparently, lots of people discover they don't need any such thing, or else they cynically exploit "free rent" (buy and then return after the vacation or event).

Did people ever return to typewriters or dedicated "word processors" after the novelty of computers wore off?

What is "normal" demand from something no longer in demand?

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
MILCNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow