Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
flibble
New MemberPosts: 7
Like?
Timelapse shutter wear warning?
1 month ago

I suddenly had an urge to dust off my D300s and make some time lapse videos. I was going to hook it up to my laptop and take a photo every second for a couple of days and then see what I could make of the results.

After setting the camera going I did some googling about it all and found that DSLRs are expected to fail after 200k to 400k shots or so. Now, given that there are 86,000 seconds in a day, I have just turned my fancy Nikon D300s into a disposable camera (OK, I can replace the shutter mechanism for a price, so some hyperbole there). It would only last a couple of days at that rate

Anyway, I quickly killed the operation and reduced the frequency of photos taken. Yes - who needs 1 photo per second for a few days long! It was intended as an experiment during a learning experience.

I'm surprised that there aren't more warnings about this on timelapse how-to webpages and articles.

Anyway, I'm glad I discovered this limitation of DSLRs before setting the self destruct procedure in motion!

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow