X-Pro1 and Fuji newbie. Advice on settings appreciated.

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Rich the Hiker
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
X-Pro1 and Fuji newbie. Advice on settings appreciated.
3 months ago

Hi all, I’m now a total newbie to the Fuji system (and interchangeable lens cameras), as I previously only used advanced compacts (G1X and LX5). This is a massive step up and learning curve for me! I’ve been fortunate enough to recently acquire a used X-Pro1 with 18mm lens, and will equip myself initially with a used 18-55mm lens, and potentially a 10-24mm lens too for wide landscape photos. Fortunately the camera has had recent software update to status 3.20 or 3.30.

As a complete novice, could some of you send me your advice on X-Pro1 best function and custom buttons settings for general travel and landscape photography, along with advice on menu settings, exposure compensation (I read a thread stating dial in  -0.3 or –0.6 to avoid highlights blowing), dynamic range settings, noise settings, continuous or auto or manual focus, noise reduction, colour settings (Provia etc) etc. It covers all the basic setup each of you XP1 shooters have on your cameras. It would really be appreciated, thanks.

Talking of colour and film settings, do any of you advise (or not) using a circular polariser on the XP1 system, or are the OOC JPEG (or RAW) colours punchy enough with regards to landscapes that you think a CPL filter is either overkill or not required?

I saw a recent thread OIS on the 18-55mm lens recommending it is switched off for most general daylight photography (except when shooting at v slow shutter speeds)…..would this be the same for the 10-24 lens or should OIS be switched on for the ultra wide zoom?

Currently I only have Photoshop Elements 9 and Nik Color Effects software. I’ve read a few threads regarding the Fuji sensor and RAW conversion issues, and also the issue with green foliage and trees etc (which I will have a lot of if shooting primarily travel and landscape images!). Will PSE9 be able to cope effectively with either JPEG tweaking or RAW post processing of the Fuji images, or should I consider a rethink and purchase some new software? I’m really not into post processing in a big way, and do like to try to get the image as good as I can in camera with some minor tweaks in PP after.

Many thanks to all in advance for your advice : ) Rich

Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow