Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
MiraShootsNikon
Contributing MemberPosts: 654Gear list
Like?
A third word: Contradiction
In reply to Stacey_K, 4 months ago

Stacey_K wrote:

Stacey_K wrote:

And I would hope I captured the image in camera well enough to not need to do any major color/exposure adjustments to the JPEG. If I did screw up bad enough to have to "lean hard" on a slider, that is when I go back and start with the RAW file.

You say: RAW is for "if I did screw up." JPEG is for when you shoot "well enough to not need major . . . adjustments." That's a way of thinking about photographic technique that applies value judgments to specific decisions and outcomes--value judgments that not everyone here shares or wants to share.

Note: I am talking about my process.

No. You aren't. You're applying bizarro value judgments to other people's processes. Like this:

If others want to work "RAW ONLY" and spend 10-15 minutes per shot PPing, because they don't want to spend some time on the front end setting up the camera for the conditions (or they don't even capture a JPEG at all), I honestly could care less. I'm not the one spending hours in front of a computer screen for no pay.

Why does shooting RAW = "because they don't want to spend some time on the front end . . . "

What about the people who shoot RAW in addition to spending time setting up the camera for conditions? You know, Mario Testino? Vogue? Why can't these people exist in your universe?

I'm not sure why you take my feeling about my workflow so personally.

I take them personally because out of the other side of your mouth you say crap like this:

If others want to work "RAW ONLY" and spend 10-15 minutes per shot PPing, because they don't want to spend some time on the front end setting up the camera for the conditions.

Why are "JPEGS like Stacey_K" or "hours of punishment because I didn't do it like Stacey_K" the only two choices?

But I begrudge the trope you use to do it. I don't think Mario Testino is screwing anything up.

Did I say "The only reason OTHER PEOPLE shoot RAW is because they screw up every shot"? Of course not.

But you did! In the very same post! Ahh! Yikes!

Again, here's you, just now:

If others want to work "RAW ONLY" and spend 10-15 minutes per shot PPing, because they don't want to spend some time on the front end setting up the camera for the conditions . . . .

The key here is "because." They shoot RAW "because they don't want to spend some time . . . ." Was I just suddenly transported to bizarro world, where "because" no longer indicates causal relationships?!?

That statement doesn't say a word about what you do. You're writing, there, about what other people do, and you're writing about it in pretty uncharitable terms.

You've been playing a game, here, that rolls the same way, over and over and over:

(1) you tell us all what we should do, "because" doing it another way means we're lazy or unskilled or ignorant;

(2) someone like me calls you on it;

(3) you backpedal proclaiming that you're only talking about what you do, that you don't judge anyone else . . . and in the process of proclaiming how profoundly open-minded you've been, you remind us that you could care less if anyone else does things "because" they're lazy or unskilled or ignorant.

?!?!

If people want to shoot RAW for reasons you don't personally understand, you'd get more out of curiosity than judgment--out of asking why rather than using a narrow trope to stamp it all unnecessary.

I have asked why and the answer I get most of the time is "why not?" (see the answer above). Note the OP doesn't seem to grasp even basic color management yet shoots only RAW. Do you honestly think he really understands why he is shooting RAW? My money is he read somewhere real photographers only shoot RAW, so that's what he does.

How about not putting any money anywhere? You spent paragraphs, above, proclaiming that you "could care less" about what other people do, yet here you are, concluding your grand rebuttal by telling us all about how you believe someone else doesn't understand any of it as well as you do.

Yikes, can you really not see the crazy contradiction in that? If you really don't care what other people do, then why are you telling me you think someone else's choices are stupid? Yikes! I want to hear about your great ideas; I don't want to hear that I am (or anyone else is) an ignoramus because we choose not to employ them.

MiraShootsNikon's gear list:MiraShootsNikon's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow