Soft image in print

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Virtual Photon
Regular MemberPosts: 191Gear list
Like?
Re: Soft image in print
In reply to asolov, 4 months ago

asolov wrote:

I have recently started using Lightroom and a retina MacBook to process images and encountered a new issue: the images on screen look too good, pretty much all of them. Apparently.

I have printed one picture at Costco as usual, to the size of 16x20 and the print looks "soft". I had printed multiple images to this and larger size and had not encountered an image that looked fine on screen but soft in print.

One difference in my process is that I used to use SilkyPix and do "natural fine" sharpening. Here I did not touch the default settings in LR.

So, here's a question: is the image actually soft, especially the icefall in the background? Is it me not being steady enough with 1/500 shutter speed? Am I missing the depth of field (should have gone with f/8)? Hopefully the oroginal metadata and resolution are preserved by the forum software.

Thanks in advance for your input!

I've also got the Retina Macbook as well and process in LR. I've not used SilkyPix so I can't comment on that. The default settings in LR are pretty conservative so if the image that you published is identical to what was done at Cosco, then yes I do think the image looks soft. I consider the default settings in LR as basically an unprocessed raw image and, as noted above, the Retina display tends to make images look better than you might otherwise think. I also think the image was slightly underexposed.

It could be considerably improved with some post-processing. This was done in LR:

One thing you might try is processing the image, then checking it by printing 1/4 of it at 8x10 to save the cost of the entire print.

Virtual Photon's gear list:Virtual Photon's gear list
Nikon D7100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow