ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
HughS
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
E M5 Shooting the moon
2 months ago

Dear Forum

I've read a good deal about capturing pictures of the moon with the E M series cameras on this forum and elsewhere and I've tried to get some decent shots of the moon with my E M5 using the 40 - 150 zoom over the last couple of nights and am somewhat disillusioned with the results to say the least.

Despite putting the camera on manual and underexposing it appears the system overrides this when the shutter button is pressed with the image jumping to full brightness in the viewfinder, all detail lost, and a useless picture as the outcome. And yet, every so often, the camera appears to obey, rather than ignore, the manual setting and produces a properly exposed image; this is unpredictable and has left me feeling totally out of control of the camera.

Autofocus is also unpredictable giving a sharp shot perhaps once in every three attempts, I expected this, but focusing manually (even using the electronic assist) is also very challenging and why does the lens focus beyond infinity?

My previous E410 although inferior in most respects could at least produce a decent shot of the moon and behaved in a much more predictable way exposure wise; if you told it to underexpose it didn't fight back!

With regard to focus I look back with nostalgia to the split screens of my OM1 and OM 4ti.

So far I am disappointed with the E M5 and, in some ways, look with envy at my son's recent purchase of a second hand D 700; bulky yes, but much more controllable.

Cheer me up someone please

Hugh

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow