Age old digital camera question: SRGB or Adobe RGB

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Stacey_K
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,254Gear list
Like?
Re: Age old digital camera question: SRGB or Adobe RGB
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, 1 month ago

DigitalPhilosopher wrote:

This is one of the major misunderstandings. God knows where it began - I'll blame Ken Rockwell

Don't begin from the camera, follow the reverse path: Will it be printed or viewed on a screen? If on screen, use sRGB, end of story.

If printed, you must first make sure Adobe RGB will be used for the printing process (not a given). Then, you must have a very good monitor, that can show the subtle differences of the Adobe RGB space. Then, you must calibrate it properly. Then, your editing must be in Adobe RGB. Then your camera must be set in Adobe RGB

Hope you're not confused with the 'thens' - like I said, picture it as the reverse path.

Bottom line: Use sRGB and you're done for most cases. Even pro labs tend to use sRGB today, because most consumer images sent to them are saved as sRGB

In other words: you should totally -understand- color management, use really good hardware that has all been calibrated, make sure every step in the chain understands color management (this includes the person doing the editing and the printing) and in -some- cases, the final print on a high end printer will possibly look a little better. Or as you said, use sRGB and you're done, and in the vast majority of cases, you will not be able to see any real IQ loss.

Like I said in my other post, I do capture a RAW in case the OOC JPEG has bad WB etc. I can almost always repair the image from the RAW file but once I get the color/contrast/exposure fixed, I transfer it to PS as sRGB 99% of the time.

I'm also not sure where this got started, but "bigger is better" is something almost universally believed. Not sure it really applies to photography.

-- hide signature --

Stacey

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow