History question-- when did the zoom become the default lens type?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
yardcoyote
Senior MemberPosts: 2,962Gear list
Like?
History question-- when did the zoom become the default lens type?
4 months ago

When I started in photography (not quite in the dinosaur era, but definitely when mammoths roamed the earth) most lenses were primes. New SLRs came in kits with 50mm lenses. I started with just such a kit, and added a used 85mm prime a few months later. Finding my needs met in full, I shot with the same kit for 20+ years, then took a long hiatus from photography when I could no longer afford film. During this long period, almost 30 years, I paid very little attention to the camera market.

Various circumstances brought me to digital photography a couple of years ago, and last summer I bought a simple DSLR, and found myself with no prime options at all when choosing a kit. I ended up with the now traditional 18-55mm zoom. Leaving aside my own personal opinions about the wisdom of this kind of marketing, and my experiences with the lens, I was left wondering: just when did the zoom become the default type of lens, and the prime become a specialty item?

I know I missed a lot of developments in my long years of contentment with a fully manual SLR-- automated exposure modes, full auto film cameras, autofocus, the first digital cameras, and several generations of DSLRs . So please, gearhounds of long standing, how are all these events related?

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax smc DA* 55mm F1.4 SDM Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +2 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow