Started 1 month ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
vaibky
New MemberPosts: 2
Like?
Assistance for buying a DSLR
1 month ago

I am new to the DSLR photography but have done decent work previously with point and shoot camera's.

And so, I am looking forward to buy my first DSLR/SLT very soon.

Following are the list of my questions:

[1] After my own set of research with the help of internet videos and various forums, I have come down to short listing two camera's:

# Nikon D3300

# Sony a58

I am getting both these camera's at approx 500$ which is pretty much my limit for camera.

Although various other options are:

# Cannon 600D (which is approximately same cost as Nikon 3300D)

# Nikon D5100 (which is a good camera from the same brand, but I think I am making a correct decision in choosing better performance over articulated screen)

Question: Which camera should I choose and why?

My Concern: First, Sony a58 seems better in quality on paper but has limited and really expensive lenses and other gears as compared to nikon!

Second, I am not sure what my take on SLT technology is and how efficient is it over DSLR?

[2] My over all budget is around 750$, in which I want to buy a decent lens along with the kit lenses which I will be getting.

# Nikon: I can obviously go on and buy a body only for either of the camera's but I think it'l be foolish to let go off the kit lens (Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6g vr ii)

for just 50$ more. So, I will be definitely getting one of these lenses.

For a second lens, nikon gives a combo option to chose from three lenses,

1. AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED

2. AF-S DX NIKKOR 35mm f/1.8G

3. AF-S NIKKOR 50mm f/1.8G

Which is a good deal for either of them as I get to pay 130$ for lenses of costing 250$ otherwise!

# Sony: It isn't offering much of a choice, but I can opt an extra lens which is 'DT 55-200mm F4-5.6 SAM Zoom Lens' for another 150$.

Question: Which lens should I chose and why?

My Concern: I really want to chose the third option that it 50mm lens at f/1.8G for either of the camera's (It'l coast 100$ extra for sony)

as I know it'l be great for low light photography and portraits which I probably aim at as of now.

But, I don't want to miss on the telephoto focal length as well and want to know, 'How much would the kit lens be inferior(for an amateur) as compared to

a prime lens that is; 50mm f/1.8G in this case'?

Please Note: I will be learning photography and with these camera's, so kindly answer all question keeping this in mind!

Thanks!

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Nikon D3300 Nikon D5100 Sony SLT-A58
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow