babalu
Regular MemberPosts: 301
Like?
Re: Got your B&H answer!
In reply to luisflorit, 1 month ago

luisflorit wrote:

henryp wrote:

BINGO!

Someone who read the review, not a B&H employee, flagged it. As I said earlier any flagged reviews is immediately taken offline for our reconsideration.

The person who posted the flag said this:

Misleading information regarding the viewfinder "flaw". Burn spots do not occur when the diopter setting is at zero which is why this is not a common issue. Since this is not mentioned in the review a potential buyer would get the impression that all E-M...

(The message is truncated on my screen. I did not censor it. That's all I can see and I cannot ID the author.)

The original review has been reauthorized and should be back on our site shortly.

Dear Henry,

I got your answer, and I just answered it. Let me post here my answer:

I understand now. It makes perfect sense, actually. Please, I would appreciate if B&H restores also the votes my review had. Last time I saw, it was "9/9 found useful", but not sure if this was the last.

Regarding the flagging reason, the author actually is touching PRECISELY at the main point I had to make the negative review: since Olympus have said nothing officially about the issue, everything we can say is just a conjecture. Until Olympus says something, as far as I know it is not known why these marks appear in the EVF (electronic viewfinder), and I even have some doubts myself, despite the theory some have about this. All that I know is that, for several users, green spots suddenly "appear" in the EVF. Apparently, *ONE* user in Germany made some tests exposing the EVF to the sunlight with different diopter adjustments, and concluded that the problem is that, when you set the diopter adjustment set to max, the sun can burn the EVF in less than a second (!!!). However, mine wasn't set to max, and I cannot even say that I exposed the EVF to the sun at all. So I cannot say that the problem does NOT happen when the diopter is set to 0, as the author of the flagging reason claimed. And no one can.

In other words, "for some reason", several users had the EVF suddenly damaged, and Olympus gave no explanation or warning or recall or solution to the users. Nothing. This is what we at DPREVIEW find inadmissible. And it is actually a shame to have to make negative reviews to try to force the company to acknowledge a very serious camera problem.

I would have never bought the EM1 if I knew about this. According to Brazilian legislation, this is called a "hidden defect", and is subject to a total refund, regardless of the time the object is in the hand of the customer. I don't know about US laws, however.

I should say that I am glad with B&H answer. As always.

Thanks,

Luis.

-- hide signature --

What I can confirm, is that when the EVF is covered from sunshine incident, there are no spots in the EVF, even after exposure of the back of the camera to the sun (E-M1 with maximum + diopter set, which is what I need to use) . I have tested this using my "Light Obturator", with a fierce afternoon sun shining full glare on the back of the camera. See the pictures in my thread:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54040731

I fully agree it is time now that Olympus publish a statement concerning this problem which is affecting their two most advertised high end cameras.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow