Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
michaeladawson
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,962Gear list
Like?
Re: Age old digital camera question: SRGB or Adobe RGB
In reply to DigitalPhilosopher, 4 months ago

DigitalPhilosopher wrote:

Simon Garrett wrote:

I would use soft proofing for that. Otherwise you won't see the exact colours of the target colour space unless your monitor exactly matches that colour space, which is unlikely.

Yes, but IMHO better to do the calculations in the wider colour space, to avoid unintentional clipping before the final conversion to the narrower colour space.

Same thing with image processing. You may want the end result accurate only to one part in 256 (8 bits) but you may not get even that accuracy unless you do intermediate calculations to a higher precision.

I'll have to check my methodologies again - at this point I'm not in a position to either agree or disagree. Thanks for taking the time to provide the info.

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon

Consider that most monitors display in at most 10 bits, many only 8 bits.  So even though you're editing in 16 bit you really aren't looking at 16 bit color on the monitor.  Let's go the opposite direction.  Many monitors are capable of displaying 10 bit color.  Why reduce your photos to 8 bit when your monitor can display more information?

I would never edit in 8 bit mode unless I had to.  Once you've thrown information away it's gone forever.  Sure, you can go back to your original raw file and start over if you need to.  But who wants to do that?

-- hide signature --

Mike Dawson

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +17 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow