Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
EvgeniK
New MemberPosts: 4
Like?
X-M1 default JPEG has overly deep shadows
1 month ago

Let me start by saying that I am very experienced with DSLR photography and RAW editing, please read the end of this post, I don't want to bother you from the beginning Long story short: based on research I've done on the Internet, I've bought X-M1 with the intention of using it exclusively in fully automatic mode, JPEG only. I am kind of disappointed that most of the pictures come out very dark, specifically the shadows are so deep that they lack any detail at all.

So, I've experimented a little and believe that this could be fixed by setting shadows to -2, highlights to -1, DR 400. However, the problem is those settings can be used only in P, A, S, M modes. I specifically need those to be available in fully automatic mode. First because of my girlfriend and second because I intentionally don't want to bother myself with settings, RAW files, post processing, etc. The camera is great at recognizing correct scenes and the only flaw it has is it doesn't fill the shadows better. I thought I was buying the greatest travel camera with the greatest OOC JPEG files. Well, this is not exactly the case. I understand perfectly that if I want better pictures, I should use the more advanced modes, but come on, most cheapish point and shoot cameras did better in fully automatic mode.

And here's something about myself. Until a year ago I've been very keen DSLR user, I've had numerous cameras, most lately a Nikon D700. I consider myself an advanced amateur and very proficient in RAW editing, post processing in PS, using layers, etc. I believe I know how to shoot a technically perfect picture and how to obtain the best from a RAW file. I have used studio lighting and know a lot about exposure. Anyway, photography was my second hobby and I felt kind of exhausted at some point, so I just sold everything. Since then I am shooting rarely, with my iPhone only and with no postprocessing at all. Just point and shoot. That being said, I don't want to go back to DSLRS and all the hassle anymore I just need a camera with big sensor and good optics that can shoot in automatic mode Do you believe we could reach Fujifilm in some way, so they can fix their automatic mode a little or I should go for another brand/model?

Fujifilm X-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow