ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Dazed and Confused
Regular MemberPosts: 463
Like?
Cheap but good AF portrait lens?
2 months ago

Hi,

I'm taking a lot of photos of my children using a Zeiss 100mm f/2 macro, but the manual focus is limiting my keeper rate.  They look great when I get them.  But only if I get them.

My only AF lens around that focal length is an f/4, and doesn't give me the shallow depth of field I need to isolate often very busy backgrounds.

I'm looking for a full frame lens between 85mm and 135mm with a wide aperture (at least 2.8) and autofocus.  But I don't want to spend any money.

I'm not too worried about absolute image quality - the types of photos I'll be taking don't need perfect corners or critical sharpness.  If the lens has a nice 'feel' (e.g. a nice bokeh) then I'll be very happy.  I have my other lenses for more critical work.

I expect that there are some older lenses that could well do what I want at a lower price (e.g. previous versions of 85mm lenses), but Nikon lens history is so long and varied that I don't know where to begin!

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

Lost in the void between the concept and the execution.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
+1New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow