Another quick shoot with the RX 100 M3 and some PP Problems...

Started 4 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Indieke1
Contributing MemberPosts: 748Gear list
Like?
Another quick shoot with the RX 100 M3 and some PP Problems...
4 months ago

I am still getting to use this camera better and better, go around his flaws, and get the best out of it.  As I posted before, I found that pictures "out of the box" in Jpeg were over sharpened, have too much contrast, and could be adjusted from 0.3 in normal light, and 0.7 in extreme situations, shadows and highlights (not forget to change the metering then also).

These pictures were taken and the end of the day, rather late between 19.30 and 20.30. Easier in some situations, more difficult in some other, twilight one's. I shot Raw and Jpeg.

But now I wanted to try to PP a bit the pics. I am used to  DPP for my Canon, there I cannot be creative with, but it is excellent, to have an easy fix, if you are used to your camera and the utility.  My first surprise was that, in DPP, you get the adjustments you made with the camera. If you choose to get more contrast, to + 1 and also more colors, and 3 sharpening, that is the setting you get when you open DPP.  With Sony's IDC, everything is on 0, so it seems that my camera settings were not taken in account, or am I wrong? I found then the pictures over sharpened again, and also contrast too aggressive. Or am I seeing this wrong? Anyway put both  10 and still found it a bit artificial sharp.   I have DL the free applications lightzone and Raw Therapy, not used them yet, and not know which is best for just simple altering, or how to use them effectively. I know a lot of people use lightroom, but on the net I not only find raving reviews.

I was happy that taking in account the behavior I noticed from the camera, that exposure were better and less blown highlights. For those complaining about that, only one thing to do, find the setting that suits you the best. For the jpeg, I had another stupid problem. In windows viewer, they looked fine, softer and not over-sharpened with my 1 setting, as in Picassa, they look more aggressive, and also less soft. Don't know who is right here.

So these pictures are in no way to have critique, it are quick shots, most on  P mode, to get the best in certain circumstances, out of the camera. They were all shot in Raw, converted, except one, that has been the original Jpeg. Can you tell which one?

The complete set is here :

An evening in my hometown

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow