Age old digital camera question: SRGB or Adobe RGB

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 794
Like?
Re: Age old digital camera question: SRGB or Adobe RGB
In reply to Robin Casady, 3 months ago

Robin Casady wrote:

Some are adamant that you should edit in the color space of the output. Others just as firm that you should edit in a larger space and convert for output.

If you edit in the color space of the output, then what you see is what you get, provided the monitor is calibrated and the space remains the same throughout the process (that's the whole idea of a color space). If you edit in a space and then convert it into something else, the editing program essentially throws away information you are not aware of. I don't see why someone should follow this path. It's like editing in 16-bit while you're aware you'll have to convert to an 8-bit jpeg afterwards. Some information will have to be thrown away, and at least I prefer to be in control of what's happening, rather than allowing the program to do that.

In any case, the Adobe RGB space offers more flexible greens. The whole trouble would not be worth it for portrait or urban photos anyway.

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow