ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BOONER
Regular MemberPosts: 100Gear list
Like?
Pentax K-3 - What is the best autofucus settings for an airshow
Aug 11, 2014

Hi Everyone,

I was at the local Airshow and was took photos. This was the first time I had taken photos at an airshow since I had purchased my k-3; before I was using a k-10d.

For the first hour of the show I barely shot any keepers. Almost everything was slightly out of focus.

Start of the show settings were:

• A-27 focus points
  • AF.C
  • 1st Frame Action in AF.C shot: Focus priority
  • Action in AF.C Continuous: Focus Prioirity
  • Hold AF Status - Low
  • shutter does not cause autofocusing (I use the af button the back of the body)

After an hour I settled on the following setting and got decent results

• Centre focus point
  • AF.C
  • 1st Frame Action in AF.C shot: Focus priority
  • Action in AF.C Continuous: Focus Prioirity
  • Hold AF Status - High
  • shutter does not cause autofocusing (I use the af button the back of the body)

My theory on the problem was that by the time I pressed the shutter the camera was already reconfirming focus as the planes would move from one focus point to another.

My lens was the Sigma 100-300 f4 EX DG.

I didn't have more time to experiment but I was wondering what settings/techniques other used as most of these settings were not available on the k-10d.

What setting do people find useful when shooting aviation?  In particular, do people use the shutter for focusing instead of the back button and more than one focus point?

BOONER's gear list:BOONER's gear list
Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL Pentax smc DA 50mm F1.8 HD Pentax DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED WR Pentax 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 WR +1 more
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow