ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BOONER
Forum MemberPosts: 84
Like?
Pentax K-3 - What is the best autofucus settings for an airshow
3 months ago

Hi Everyone,

I was at the local Airshow and was took photos. This was the first time I had taken photos at an airshow since I had purchased my k-3; before I was using a k-10d.

For the first hour of the show I barely shot any keepers. Almost everything was slightly out of focus.

Start of the show settings were:

• A-27 focus points
  • AF.C
  • 1st Frame Action in AF.C shot: Focus priority
  • Action in AF.C Continuous: Focus Prioirity
  • Hold AF Status - Low
  • shutter does not cause autofocusing (I use the af button the back of the body)

After an hour I settled on the following setting and got decent results

• Centre focus point
  • AF.C
  • 1st Frame Action in AF.C shot: Focus priority
  • Action in AF.C Continuous: Focus Prioirity
  • Hold AF Status - High
  • shutter does not cause autofocusing (I use the af button the back of the body)

My theory on the problem was that by the time I pressed the shutter the camera was already reconfirming focus as the planes would move from one focus point to another.

My lens was the Sigma 100-300 f4 EX DG.

I didn't have more time to experiment but I was wondering what settings/techniques other used as most of these settings were not available on the k-10d.

What setting do people find useful when shooting aviation?  In particular, do people use the shutter for focusing instead of the back button and more than one focus point?

Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow