Software for auto lens corrections with Fuji lenses?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
Randy Benter
Senior MemberPosts: 2,093Gear list
Like?
Re: Software for auto lens corrections with Fuji lenses?
In reply to Chad Hardy, 4 months ago

Chad Hardy wrote:

Randy this is not entirely true. I just finished testing my 1855 and Aperture is not applying vignetting corrections. When I load them into LR, they are gone. When I load into Aperture, vignetting is present and I have to correct it manually.

As a general rule I don't trust Aperture with lens corrections. I used both for years and lens correction was one of my major complaints with the program. I understand this could be because Fuji isn't always writing correction info to the RAF, but it always works fine with LR. Just my observations.

Did you compare the Aperture results to an uncorrected version (e.g. from PhotoNinja)? It could be that both are correcting for vignetting, but LR is doing more. Two converters can use the same lens correction data and still produce slightly different results. It could also be that Aperture only corrects distortion, but not vignetting (as you said). It has been a while since I compared them directly.

If Aperture is not automatically correcting for vignetting, it would be simple enough to create a preset that includes this. I commonly make a standard preset that corrects dark corners and also a portrait preset that automatically makes them even darker. I am more concerned with distortion correction, which is more difficult to accurately profile and correct than vignetting.

Randy Benter's gear list:Randy Benter's gear list
Leica X2 Fujifilm X100S Leica X Vario Leica M Typ 240 Fujifilm X-E2 +27 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow