Simplify and give up Aperture or Lightroom?I’m a run-of-the mill amateur, who might shoot hundreds o

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
down south shooter
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Simplify and give up Aperture or Lightroom?I’m a run-of-the mill amateur, who might shoot hundreds o
2 months ago

I’m a run-of-the mill amateur, who might shoot hundreds of photos a week. Compared to the pros, that’s nothing. But, I’d rather spend my time shooting than processing, so I want to be efficient.

I currently use Aperture, and I’ve used earlier versions of Lightroom. Both are great.

Lately, though, I tend to use Photo Ninja to process the RAW files from my Fuji, and I’m very pleased with the results.

Then, I usually make any additional corrections with one of the NIK filters. I do a lot of B&W conversions with SilverFX.

The end result is a good tiff.

But, that workflow in and out of Aperture is a bit of a pain.

And, I like the results I’m getting better than if I used Aperture to make the edits. (Yes, I know some folks can get the same quality without leaving Aperture or Lightroom, but I’m finding myself faster with this workflow.)

I’m thinking of grabbing a copy of Photo Mechanic and just moving to a flat-file system. By using tools such as Hazel on the Mac, I can make a simple workflow. And, I’d just keep the RAWs as backups, working with tiffs.

Is there anyone else who isn’t going the Lightroom route, and if so are there workflow suggestions?

Again, Lightroom is awesome. Not looking to start a fight. Just trying to figure out what works best for me, and I’ve only demoed Photo Mechanic.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow