Slower Shutter Speed Sharpness with Handheld Shots on the D810 or D800's?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
NikkorGoldRing
Junior MemberPosts: 31
Like?
Slower Shutter Speed Sharpness with Handheld Shots on the D810 or D800's?
8 months ago

I'm seriously thinking about upgrading my D700 to a D810. I love my D700 where I've gotten very sharp shots even at slower shutter speeds as low as 1/8th of a second with wide angle VR lenses.

When the D800 first came out, there was speculation that the huge 36MP sensor would be somewhat detrimental to sharpness at slower shutter speeds handheld. Therefore, one would have to increase their shutter speeds if shooting without a tripod to maintain sharpness compared to lower megapixel DSLRs.

Was this just speculation by pixel peepers or true to some extent? If somewhat true, what's a good rule to follow if one needs to increase their shutter speed?  The 1/focal length rule has worked out for me when shooting static objects over the years.  Or, is this something that I would need to just experience with.

Full Frame Lenses I own: Nikkor 16-35 F4 VR, Nikkor 70-200 F2.8 VRII, Nikkor 50 1.4D

Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow