Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
TechDirector
New MemberPosts: 8
Like?
Camera Bag and Kit dropped in Sea!
2 months ago

Hi all, first post so apologise if I have it wrong.

Just returned from holiday - got some amazing shots but at a price. My kit was wrapped in plastic bags when I went through sea caves (in a canoe) off the coast of Cornwall UK but when I got back to the beach, a small child jumped into my path and I swerved to miss them, overturning the canoe. The kit in the bag went into the sea for a split second and took on a small amount of sea water (whilst also inside a Tamrac bag). My kit seems OK at the minute (EF-S 10 - 22mm f3.5, EF 24 - 70mm f2.8L USM, EF 70 - 200mm f2.8L IS II USM, EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM Macro and EOS 7d body but the 24-70 has just started to report a contacts issue and some funny readings on the ISO view. I am guessing some moisture and possibly salt is causing this. I am new to photography and now want to clean the lenses, contacts and sensor just to be sure I maximise the life of this kit now it has been compromised. I wanted to get a cleaning kit anyhow but this has prompted me to sort it quicker than expected. Any advice on what to buy to clean the sensor, contacts and lenses themselves? Anything I should avoid or should I bite the bullet and take the whole kit to an authorised dealer to check it all over?

Many thanks

TechDirector (not photographic) :-/

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow