>>> Street Photography eXchange #113 <<<

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
TroiD
Regular MemberPosts: 401Gear list
Like?
Re: To clarify
In reply to fad, 4 months ago

fad wrote:

To clarify the artistic intent, the reason I take pictures like this is to explore the effect of headlights and other forms of artificial light at night and evening. Dynamic range at higher iso's is limited. A sensor will never see this light as the human eye does.

What the D810 led me to realize is that exposing for the highlights is the most promising esthetic I have yet found. By compressing, rather than bringing up the shadows in pp, my intent is to create interesting patterns, as in this photo.

I should have reduced the noise. I don't see any signs of camera shake, but I may not be looking for it properly. Some motion blur does not bother me too much in this kind of abstract composition, but it's good to be aware of it. Increasing shutter speed will just reduce dynamic range further. It is good for me to reflect on the tradeoff.

-- hide signature --

Frank
shot in downtown Manhattan.
http://sidewalkshadows.com/blog/ (street photos)
Always view all photos in Gallery or Original Size

You didn't seem to appreciate my comments. Yes, headlights could be interesting to play around with. But in the end they're just another light source. They have to be managed like the others. The intensity, the orientation, which part of the subject do you want lit, and which parts will you keep in the dark... all part of your artistic vision. My main point though... and you've understood it... is that delegating all the exposure to your camera isn't going to help you use that light to create drama, or mood, or feeling in your images. I'm trying to encourage you to take back some control of your exposure. That's all.

David

TroiD's gear list:TroiD's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow