Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DaveOl
Senior MemberPosts: 1,976
Like?
Unusual subject
3 months ago

I don't know if this has been asked before, but a number of my wife's family's relatives are buried in an old cemetery in West Virginia.  I went there last week and took a few pictures with some success.  My question is, is there anyone on this forum who regularly does photographing of old tombstones.  It there a technique of taking the pictures or post processing the images to make them optimal.  I have posted three pictures below.  One very poor, one fairly good and one very good.    Any help would be appreciated.

The day was overcast so the lighting was pretty flat.  I tried shooting flat to the stone and moved a little to the right to get an angle.  I also tried with and without the pop up flash on my Nikon D 300s.

The only lens I had with me was a Nikon 16-85mm.  Is this a two person job, with one person holding a light to throw a shadow into the engraving or is there another way which is successful?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow