Single image HDR process can really save your bacon.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
local novice
Regular MemberPosts: 402Gear list
Like?
Single image HDR process can really save your bacon.
4 months ago

Just got the NIK collection plug ins for aperture a few months ago, and started messing around some older images taken that were less than satisfactory on a technical level, but had some interesting images that saved them from being deleted.  I have difficulty with surfing pictures I think because: 1. you have to shoot at 300mm(panasonic 100-300).  2.  CDAF in older olympus bodies does not work.  3.  The dynamic contrast you get in surfing pictures.  White foam vs. deep blues that I think confuse the sensor(and the photographer).  4.  Spray and hazing on windy day.  So to nail a focus lock on a moving object is not easy for me.

Using HDR Efex Pro in single image mode I was able to re work and save some (I think) really nice pics. from the scrap heap(trash bin).

Here is the original

cropped and reworked.

original

HDR Efex

original

Cropped and HDR Efex

original

cropped and HDR Efex

I tried using Aperture's organic editing tools and Color Efex Pro but in this case the improvements in contrast, and detail recovery were better. I read somewhere that single image HDR was "cheating" while I can appreciate the thought in this case the HDR plug was extremely helpful.  This is not to say that this process will save you every time, but it is there if you need it.  I tried playing with EV, changing metering modes, etc. but it did not help me when I shot these.  Any suggestions on improving my exposure technique would be greatly appreciated.

local novice's gear list:local novice's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS +3 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow