Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
BobT
Forum ProPosts: 11,946Gear list
Like?
Are your SX50 results unpredictable?
4 months ago

Mine sure seem to be.  Especially at the longer ranges.  I'm sure it's probably me....usually is.  But I was planning on counting on the this camera for those longer ranges Yellowstone shots beyond the 300mm of my DSLR, and now I'm not feel so confident.

Then there's the question about if (for example) a shot taken at 600mm with the SX50 versus the same image captured with the 300mm "L" lens, but then cropped to the same size as the SX50 image?  Might the cropped (300mm lens) image be the better one?  (Specifically the 70-300 IS USM "L" lens.)

A couple days ago, I took only the SX50 to the zoo to try and get shots of animals a long way away, similar to what might be seen in YNP.  So several were taken at full zoom.  Results were OK at best.  Animals taken much closer were MUCH better.  But what's discouraging is that I've seen many images taken by you folks and displayed within these forums (with SX50), at long ranges, that were nothing short of stunning.

So is this camera only capable of delivering top-notch IQ (especially sharpness) under only optimal lighting conditions?  Maybe I shouldn't be counting on it for the trip to YNP?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow