Shouldn't Tony Northrup give a training to some reviewers not to mess up equvalence calculations?

Started 4 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Miki Nemeth
Contributing MemberPosts: 715Gear list
Like?
Shouldn't Tony Northrup give a training to some reviewers not to mess up equvalence calculations?
4 months ago

This morning I was watching this A7S vs GH4 review https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O76Ci8MDGhI and I was shocked the myriads of mistakes this reviewer made. After learning from Tony Northrup how to do equivalence calculation properly, this reviewer messes up things completely: he simply ignores to do the proper aperture conversion math. Another mistake is that he simply ignores that (pro and advanced enthusiast) videographers don't use autofocus at all, and they are not rely on native lenses; on the contrary, they prefer real manual-focus (click-less, if possible) lenses of old times or recent cine lenses. The other reviewer MichaelTheMentor at least does not messes up equivalence calculation; but, he simply compares the two video-oriented camera with his high-burst, auto-focus oriented photography approach. What a disappointment, I liked the reviews of these guys but they lost credibility. Steve Huff, too, when giving a review of Fujinon lenses on XPro1, he simply forgets to calculate the aperture equivalence. Fujifilm's ISO200 is the same as ISO400 on other cameras, when you read the numbers, you conclude that "oh this camera performs the same image as this other one on the same ISO3200". Why are they cheating? Am I missing something?

Here is my DoF demo photo: 50mm/f1.4 FF = 75mm/f2 APS-C

Take care, Miki

Miki Nemeth's gear list:Miki Nemeth's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Fujifilm X-A1 Sony Alpha 7 Sony a5100 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G +24 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-Pro1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha 7S
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
TrueNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow