Fuji X-E1 vs X-E2 RAW vs JPEG (X-E2 Shadow Area Too Dark)

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Hogio8
New MemberPosts: 9Gear list
Like?
Fuji X-E1 vs X-E2 RAW vs JPEG (X-E2 Shadow Area Too Dark)
4 months ago

I bought an X-E2 after having my X-E1 kit stolen on board a train from Cologne to Paris last year.

However, I feel that the settings on JPEG on X-E2 is set too easily clipped on the shadows/dark area compared to X-E1. This is very apparent and problematic with portraits of black hair people.

I've been a JPEG shooter with X-E1 since the OOC JPEG came out so beautifully. Not so with X-E2, which made me a RAW shooter.

I borrowed X-E1 and compared it with my X-E2 to find out. I thought, this was just the JPEG settings. But, it turned out that the with the default settings (with Lightroom 5) the shadow area on X-E2 is indeed darker than X-E1 but it happens on both the RAW and JPEG. Nothing scientific. All handheld, default settings on JPEG.

OOC JPEG X-E1

OOC JPEG X-E2

OOC JPEG X-E1

OOC JPEG X-E2

I created a Dropbox link for RAW and JPEG files if anyone is interested to make comparison or comment.

Regards,

Hogio

Hogio8's gear list:Hogio8's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-E2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow