Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
charles lee
Regular MemberPosts: 278
Like?
FZ1000 4k Hummingbird captures...
1 month ago

Spent some time today sitting in a chair in our garden until the hummingbirds got used to me. Then started shooting 4k video (hand-held as these little guys move around so fast) to allow the camera to record their feeding. It does make a difference using 4k video! Trying this with still photos is exceedingly difficult (especially at the rate their wings move). After about 5 minutes of recording, I had more good shots that I could extract than I knew what to do with... this has never happened with hummingbirds before... ever! Usually I get one or two good shots (if I'm lucky) taking still photos.

Shutter speed was set to 1/1600 second... I let the camera do the rest (i.e. Auto-ISO). I have the focusing set on AFF. Sometimes the camera would start to focus on the background, and at that point I would stop recording and re-start. Have to figure how to re-focus while recording (still a lot to learn!).

Rufous Hummingbird... they tend to be a little aggressive to the other birds.

Anna's Hummingbird at the Trumpet Vine.

Anna's Hummingbird at the Gladiolus.

Another Anna's Hummingbird at the Trumpet Vine.

All photos were grabbed from the video using Lightroom 5 and then processed (cropped and general editing). The ending resolution is about a 3 Megapixel image after cropping... so not enough to make large prints, but good enough for web work and small prints.

I've never had this much luck (or fun!) shooting hummingbirds... it makes the process so much easier.

Best wishes,
Charles

-- hide signature --

Web site (with photo galleries): http://www.beautifulvista.com

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow