Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MinAZ
Regular MemberPosts: 326
Like?
Not quite satisfied with E-PM2
1 month ago

I've been using the Olympus E-PM2 as my primary travel/casual camera for several months. I like the size/weight of the E-PM2 combined with it's decent autofocus and image quality. I've spent a fair bit on purchasing MFT lenses, but refrained from getting the top-of-the-line glass.

I have come to the realization however, that I am just not quite satisfied with the camera for some reason. I'm not sure what it is. The whole point of getting the camera was that it had a good combination of light weight, good image quality, IS, and the same sensor as the OM-D series without paying the OM-D price.

But in the end, I feel that there is something missing from the experience when I shoot with this camera. I wish I could explain it better, but today, I took an old film camera out (cost me $50 plus a cheap lens) and I just found everything "felt" better. Maybe it is the way the camera fit in my hands, the large optical viewfinder (I did not purchase the viewfinder accessory for the E-PM2 yet), or the layout of the menu system. Ironically, I am actually beginning to feel maybe the camera is a bit too small! That sounds insane considering the reason I bought it in the first place was its compact size. Perhaps I could trade up for the OM-D series, but of course that would mean shelling out at least another $500 (minus what I get for the E-PM2 used, not much!).

I haven't tried getting the electronic viewfinder (or grip, if one exists). I would consider doing that, but for a bit more, I would be able to get an OM-D (-5 or -10, used).

Or I could just keep using it and live with the awkwardness. It still takes good pictures. I feel that the the limitations are not with the camera but rather my awkwardness with it.

Has anyone used both the E-PM2 and an OM-D (-5/10) and can comment on both cameras with regards to ergonomics? Also besides the obvious differences in viewfinder, grip, size, and dials/knobs, are there any other usability differences between the E-PM2 and OM-D (i.e. menu system, ease-of-use, etc...)? I know that the image quality is going to be the same since they use the exact same sensor/processor and of course the same lens.

Olympus PEN E-PM2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow