How many interchangeable lens compact kits are available with primes? Especially pancakes?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
frascati
Regular MemberPosts: 111
Like?
How many interchangeable lens compact kits are available with primes? Especially pancakes?
4 months ago

Ive only seen a few. The Canon Eos M with 22mm lens at 330.00 is only 80 dollars more than the best price I could find on the Samsung EX2F, the camera I'm one inch from ordering but still mind boggled over dozens of alternatives.   The Samsung NX Mini is another that is offered as kit with 9mm pancake. That's not on my shortlist for a few reasons. It was actually uncomfortably small in my hands when I held it at the store.

While I'm here I'll ask a related question.  I often shot at 5mp just to save storage space and was never dissatisfied with the results.  If I'm frankly never going to to do deep crops or prints larger than an average paper sheet is chasing a sensor larger than 1/1.7 not worth my while?

Four years ago I got a Samsung SL420 after a camera-less spell. I was waiting for a good digital to hit the 99 dollar price point and jumped in. I was hooked harder than ever and took thousands of photos. I was frankly astonished at the image quality from a 99 dollar 1/2.33 compact. It finally quit working, autofocus failed entirely, a few months ago.  But it did prepare me to shop for a replacement according to my needs/habits.

I very rarely ever used the zoom. It may owe somewhat to a low quality lens on the SL420, or my technique, but even with monopod and practice I could never get satisfactory detail out of telephoto images. That said, I was rarely tempted to in the first place. 99 percent of what I like to catch on 'film' is what my eye sees.

Another reason why I like the idea of a compact prime lens is that it makes little sense to me to spend the premium for compactness and then loose that advantage almost entirely with a kit zoom that is twice to three times the size of the body. "Bridge" cameras generally seem to offer comparable specs and IQ at about 2/3 the cost of the ultra compacts. With kit zoom lenses attached, neither one of them is pocketable anymore, so what was gained? Some kit zooms appear to be very small such as the Samsung 20-50. It's not a whole lot larger than the NX pancakes.

I'm impressed that Canon offers the Eos M as a kit with 22mm pancake. It offers a good savings over purchasing body and lens separately for those who aim to use the camera for 'street' photography primarily. Then one can choose from a huge range of zooms later on without being forced with one specific kit model.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow