Why is Pentax AW HD DA AF 1.4X Rear Converter so good?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Petroglyph
Senior MemberPosts: 2,978Gear list
Like?
Why is Pentax AW HD DA AF 1.4X Rear Converter so good?
2 months ago

It seems like the same 4/3 formula they had for years for a 1.4X TC. I've recently got a chance to try one with a Tamron 90mm macro screw drive AF and Pentax DA* 60-250 SDM AF lens. I can't tell any IQ loss and the Tamron maybe seemed a little sharper. And that is saying something on the Tamron. Ricoh says the TC causes one stop shallower DOF which is a good thing IMO. Doesn't that mean the same bokeh at f/5.6 as there was at f/4 on the 60-250? Also the minimum focus distance is unchanged, brilliant. I did have to turn the AF switch off and on once to get the 60-250/TC combo to start auto focusing. But once it started it seemed as fast as without the TC. And the IQ at 350mm and f/5.6 was excellent. The Tamron seemed to focus a little slower with screw drive but I'm used to macro lenses focusing slowly anyway.

Cheers.

Petroglyph's gear list:Petroglyph's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Canon EF 16-35mm f/4L IS USM
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow