Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - I can't praise it enough!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DigitalPhilosopher
Contributing MemberPosts: 738
Like?
Samyang 85mm f/1.4 - I can't praise it enough!
2 months ago

I got a few days ago a Samyang 85mm f/1.4 in used but totally mint condition, for 150 euros (~120GBP; $200). I'm planning a review for my website soon, but until then I must give you a sneak preview:

Oh wow! I'm very happily surprised by this lens. It far exceeded my expectations. It is a very, very serious contender for a fast portrait lens on FX. Beyond looking at cold diagrams, MTf charts and all that, examining just the results, this is a lens that was designed to be used for portraits, and to be used wide-open.

The greatest plus - at least for me personally - is the bokeh. Far, far superior to the old AF-D f/1.8, especially closed-down. No more those annoying irregular shapes with distant highlights. Just creamy, buttery circles disappearing into oblivion.

Compared to the AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4?
It's 1/10 of the price (used), but when we compare quality wide-open you really don't see that reflected there. OK, you lose autofocus obviously, but that's about it. Oh wow... Who would've thought...

-- hide signature --

Check my blog for reviews, tips & tutorials:
Amateur Nikon

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow