Best Portrait Combo?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
teseg
Senior MemberPosts: 2,065Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Portrait Combo?
In reply to KLO82, 4 months ago

KLO82 wrote:

If I had enough money, I would buy an FF camera with a 85mm f1.8 and a 135mm f2 lens for portraits. I personally think that on FF, f1.8/ f2 is the widest aperture that you need for portraits. Yes, you can get same DoF at ~f1.2 on 1.5/1.6x crop cameras, but you are more likely to get better technical image quality from lenses at f1.8/2 (f number which you are going to use on FF) than at f1.2 (f number which you are going to use on 1.5/1.6 crop cameras). Also, if you are using phase detection AF, you will see that it may be very hard to achieve correct focus consistently at smaller f numbers on 1.5x/1.6x cameras (it is very hard for me to achieve correct focus with my 550D, 50mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.8 even at f2.5). It has to do with lower inherent focusing accuracy of phase detection system of smaller sensor cameras (see this post http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/54108783 ). But if you are using contrast detect AF, it is not an issue, eg: Fuji XT1 with 56mm f1.2.
As I already have a Canon 85mm f1.8 lens, I would like to buy a canon 6D to complement it.
Some of my portrait works:

Nice. Thanks.

teseg's gear list:teseg's gear list
Sony RX1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow