What is a cheap + good FX outdoor portrait kit for 1600 USD ?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rahulg
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
What is a cheap + good FX outdoor portrait kit for 1600 USD ?
4 months ago

After many years, I return to the gurus to ask for advise and suggestions.

Want to have a low budget FX portrait kit.

1) Cameras...USED D700 seems best...but am scared of the weight. D300 was ok, this is gonna be heavier. D700 is around 1000 USD used here in Sweden.

2) lenses.

- I already have 180 f2.8 AF-D, but think it has some focussing or sharpness problem at 2.8. Used it with D7000 and D90. Maybe on D700 it will be better.

- Have a Tokina 135mm f2.8, decent lens but MF.

- Have a sb400 flash and some extension tubes and tripods.

Am thinking...to buy used...

a) Tamron 28-75 f2.8 + Tamron 90mm macro f2.8 + 180mm f2.8 (covers a lot, QUESTION here is, do i need anything less than f2.8?)

b) Nikon 35mm f2, Nikon 85mm f1.8 G + 180mm f2.8 ( Q: Do i need a 50mm f1.8 or 1.4 G in between 35 and 85 ? Amnytimes I have been bored with the 50mm on DX atleast. )

There is a nice deal with D700+50 1.8D+ 85 1.8D + Sigma 24-70 for 1500 USD, but am not sure if the heavy Sigma on heavy D700 is good, and everyone says the bokeh of newer G lenses is better. I have used 85 1.8D but never used below 2.8 I think. So ...is 1.8 really needed...else tamron 28-75 covers everything for me.!!

So essentially...please suggest...the FOCAL lengths and Aperture you feel is sufficient for a decent setup for outdoor single person portraits. Headshots...full body and some environment and nice pleasing bokeh.

I have some experience, but made a rather hasty move to Olympus. As I was tired of the bulk of Nikon. Now Man thinks Oly is a (cute and capable) toy and Man wants to go back to Nikon FX on the CHEAP! Mostly for depth of field effects. And wants to do better photography also.

Thanks for all your inputs!

Rahul

Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow