Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DAVID MANZE
Senior MemberPosts: 1,692Gear list
Like?
Macro. 3.
2 months ago

This spider had weaved it's web right across a road track, a span of ten feet; even with only the lightest of air movement the web was moving back and forth about a foot or so, twenty odd shots before I nailed the spider sharp, taken into the sun and PPd for effect.

This guy was gorgeous, a pity I could catch him off the rocks!

Comments on the K3 mated with the Sigma 105 for macro;

This combination can produce some seriously sharp images, the APSc for macro is the largest size sensor I want to go with, you need to stop down to F8 minimum  to get a decent depth of field and more often F11-13, at F16 the sharpness is already waning, FF would make DOF more of a struggle.

I find that the K3's sensor can take a lot of cropping so there is less juggling for DOF and closeness if you crop a little, unless you're looking for 20X30" prints! Image noise is your enemy when trying to freeze bees and the like I use 800 ISO for those critters (and in bright sunshine), I've lost too many shots trying to keep the ISO down, generally I start with with the ISO @ 800 and if I get the shot I'll try again at 400!

I know I was a late taker of the K3, so it's no news to those who have owned one for some time,however it is an enormous step up from the K5 and I'm using a 30% less sharpening boost to get significantly sharper images with less sharpening artifacts. I waited to for the mirror problem to get resolved in "vain" as I have had three machine gun attacks so far.

-- hide signature --

Dave's clichés

DAVID MANZE's gear list:DAVID MANZE's gear list
Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax K-01 Pentax K-3 +14 more
Pentax K-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow