Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
rio40g
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
I think mobile companies are innovating more than traditional camera companies
2 months ago

Does anyone else besides me think that mobile companies are being more innovative with photography than the traditional Canon/Nikon, etc?

Look at HTC, with its latest model, the M8.

It has dual camera, one being a depth camera, which from what I understood, stores additional info to each picture, allowing users to change the focus after the shot was taken.

I've never played with that camera. From what I heard, you can even "select" foreground subjects and paste it somewhere else. Kinda like what you do with photoshop, but much better quality because the camera already detects the subjects vs the background.

Why can't Canon/Nikon add a tiny depth camera as well?

I know there are other cameras that allow you to change the focus, like the Samsung S5, but I read that it uses a different technology. It takes multiple pictures and it also requires a "special mode" for that to work.

I'm in the market for a new cell phone, and the new photo features I'm finding in these new cameras are more exciting that what Canon has announced in its last few models.

They seem like evolution (more power, more quality, more pixels), but nothing really fresh and new.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow