Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
Sailor Blue
Senior MemberPosts: 6,331Gear list
Like?
Re: Sailer Blue re links
In reply to giraffe, 1 month ago

giraffe wrote:

Sailor Blue wrote:

<snip>If you want to use LR ask and I'll give you some links to excellent tutorials on LR.

Would love to take you up on this offer. Can you please provide the links you think are the best as I am considering using lightroom instead of ACR. Thanks

No problem. Here is a good general reference from Adobe. Watch each section as you start to use that part of LR, don't try to watch the whole thing at once.

Adobe TV - Learn Lightroom 5

Learning keyboard shortcuts will speed up LR enormously.

Adobe Lightroom 5 Keyboard Shortcuts - The Lightroom Queen

Before you even try to use LR you need to understand a couple of things and get your image storage scheme and cataloging scheme worked out.

Matt Kloskowski - No Time To Get Organized in Lightroom? Then Don’t! | Lightroom Killer Tips

LR doesn't move or copy files unless you tell it to. When it says it is importing files what is actually doing is making note of where those files are stored on your hard disk(s).  This information about where images are stored is kept in a text file called the Master Catalog.

LR can actually copy or move files during import but only if you tell it to. Personally I usually copy my files from my memory card onto my computer and make a backup copy using the OS, but that is only because I am used to doing it that way. It is actually easier to let LR copy the files and simultaneously make a backup copy on a second disk during import.

If you decide to move an image file or folder do it inside LR or LR will lose track of where the images are stored.

There are different ways of organizing your file storage and catalog, and they don't have to be the same way. Typical file storage is by using a stacked folder system such as My Photos>YYYY>yymmdd-Subject or ...>Subject-yymmdd.

Note: Using yymmdd will keep folders in order by date.

A catalog can be thought of as a virtual folder with sub-folders called collections. You might use the same scheme as for your file storage, i.e. Master Catalog>YYYY>yymmdd-Subject or ...>Subject-yymmdd. You might also use a scheme as simple as Master Catalog>Subject>yymmdd.

Adding keywords is important since doing it properly will help you find specific images. Keywords, for instance, can let you find and bring together in a single collection every picture you have even taken of your Aunt Tilly even though those images are stored in many different folders on your hard drive.  Doing this doesn't make copies of the images either so it doesn't chew up your hard disk space.  Placing the same image in multiple collections simply means that LR is only storing where the images are located on your hard disks multiple times in your Master Catalog.

A couple of these tutorials are by the same person but contain enough new or different information to make it worth watching both.

B&H - Peter Krogh - Mastering Photo Organization with Lightroom - YouTube

B&H - Tim Cooper - Adobe Lightroom: The Library Module, Order from Chaos - YouTube

B&H - Tim Grey - Getting Started With Lightroom 5

B&H - Tim Grey - Organizing Photos with Adobe Lightroom - YouTube

Scott Kelby Guest Blog - Seth Resnick - Lightroom Keywording in the Library Module

Once you import images you want to post process them in the Develop module. Personally I start with a modified version of Jack Davis's Five Step Tango but then I either finish with other parts of the Develop module or export the image to Photoshop for more work.

B&H - Tim Grey - Optimizing Photos in Lightroom - YouTube

B&H - Tim Grey - Optimizing and Sharing Photos With Lightroom 5

CreativeLive - Jack Davis - The Five Step Tango Global Optimizing in Lightroom - Cost $29

B&H - Tim Grey - Using Lightroom & Photoshop Together

B&H - Tim Grey - Photoshop CS6 for the Photographer - YouTube

These two tutorials show you have far you can take an image in LR. Of course there are plenty of times when you need more than LR and that is when a program like Photoshop Elements, Photoshop, PaintShop Pro, or some add-on program like Nik or Perfect Photo Suite comes into play.

AdobeTV - Terry White - How To Do A Complete Portrait Retouch in Lightroom 5

Serge Ramelli - PLP # 40 - New Lightroom 5 beta retouching tutorials - YouTube

-- hide signature --

Living and loving it in Pattaya, Thailand. Canon 7D - See the gear list for the rest.

Sailor Blue's gear list:Sailor Blue's gear list
Canon EOS 7D +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow