Wanted to try out the Foveon sensor; Sigma DP1 or DP1s good cheap route?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
bikerhiker
Regular MemberPosts: 113Gear list
Like?
Wanted to try out the Foveon sensor; Sigma DP1 or DP1s good cheap route?
4 months ago

Hi there,

I'm quite happy with my Olympus m43 cameras and love shooting with them, but I'm always intrigued by the Foveon X3 sensor Sigma has put on their camera bodies.  I love the unique colors and love pixel sharpness, but I just want to try it on the cheap and if I don't like it then I'm not out a lot.  I see I can buy the DP1 or DP1s for not much money; about $150 to $200 used and they are a lot cheaper when they were brand new 4 years + ago.  $200 is max for my budget.

I'll be shooting landscape with it and I wonder how the Sigma DP1 or DP1s compares against my old Olympus E-PL1, which is also a very unique camera that makes unique images; something my E-P5 has a difficult time re-creating it without extensive PP.  I really want to make the next step beyond E-PL1 and I wonder if that's the right approach with the DP1?

In terms of RAW processing software, am I stuck with Sigma Photo Pro to batch convert them to TIFF or can I use Adobe ACR or DXO Optics Pro 9 to batch them?!?

Thank you!

bikerhiker's gear list:bikerhiker's gear list
Nikon Coolpix AW110 Olympus E-1 Olympus PEN E-P5 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 +7 more
Sigma DP1 Sigma DP1s
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow