Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
martin0reg
Regular MemberPosts: 152
Like?
GM1 + 12-32mm + wide converter = 9.5-25mm
1 month ago

Recently I found a wide-angle-converter in my accessories, from the days when most compacts wide-angle-lens were not so wide - and video cameras did not have wide-angle at all. It is a "Ricoh DW-6" (factor: 0,79) which was one of the best converters I had used ... but these are always designed for a special lens and IQ depends on the interaction of lens and converter. Main problems are blurry corners, barrel distortion and vignetting

As I found also a suitable adapter ring (37 to 43) in my box I just gave it a try and screwed it on the tiny 12-32mm kit-zoom of my GM1.

The results are surprisingly good! I made a fast and easy test with zoom set to 12 - 18 - 32mm and the photos taken with the DW-6 are quite sharp up to the corners, distortion is hardly to be seen, at least not more than with oriiginal 12mm. No vignetting, which is all the more astonishing, while this converter is designed for a smaller sensor and image circle than mFT. Anyway I have now a quite usable 9,5mm super wide lens respectively a 10-25mm super wide zoom.

Here are two samples: at 12mm without and with converter:

12-32 at 3.5/12mm

12-32mm at 3.5/12mm + 0,8 converter = 3.5/9.5mm

But beware of the weight: for a converter the DW-6 is relative light weight, for mounting on the fragile panasonic kit-zoom it may be a bit heavy: ca. 110g is hanging on the filter thread - action photography will damage the zoom-lens...

-- hide signature --

Printers: Canon MP810, Epson R285; Refill Ink from IS/octoinkjet
Forum for Refillers: http://www.printerknowledge.com/
...please excuse my german english, schooldays are long ago...

Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow