Fuji has really come to grow on me in a number of ways...

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Ben Herrmann
Forum ProPosts: 16,353Gear list
Like?
Fuji has really come to grow on me in a number of ways...
4 months ago

To begin with, I've always been a Fuji fan/user.  And although I shoot with over a dozen different cameras from various brands, I've always looked to the likes of Olympus and Fuji for the rich colors that I prefer.  But until recently, when it came to specifically obtaining rich colors with external flash units, I turned to Olympus instead.  Call it force of habit, especially since there are quite a bit more flash unit choices available on that side of the house.

A few weeks ago we visited extended relatives in the Philadelphia, Pa area who had a daughter getting married.  They kindly asked if I could take photos for them (in addition to the Pro's that they hired).  What the heck, I hadn't been to Philadelphia in awhile, so we gladly obliged.  I took the Fuji X-E1 with 18-55 (and the Fuji EF-42 flash unit), the Olympus E-M5 with various lenses (and the Oly FL-50 flash unit), and several other brand cameras.  I just wanted to be ready should anything happen to one or the other.

Two of the places where I was the only photographer present were at the decorating festivities of a huge mansion known as the Knowlton mansion (to be used for the reception), and at the Bride's home while she and her bridal party were getting ready for the wedding.  In both of these cases I specifically took the X-E1, 18-55 and the EF-42 flash (with the Gary Fong Lightsphere dome attached - which I always use due to the superb balance of lighting it provides).  I used the E-M5 at the wedding, rehearsal dinner, and the reception.

Since I always shoot in RAW, I shot in a variety of conditions and when I got home and checked over the images, I realized that Fuji takes a 2nd second seat to nobody!  The dynamic colors were beyond superb - very rich (well, IMO, that is).  I used the EF-42 in bounce mode (flash all the way up with the Lightsphere dome) and shot in manual mode.  The results are better than what I had initially expected.  I know this is all old news - after all, you know of Fuji's superb capabilities, but prior to this, I spread what cash flow I had available between other brands.  But no more...as I will now focus on getting the X-T1 and 18-135, along with other Fuji lenses.  I do wish however, that Fuji would explore their flash scenarios more.  They need a more powerful flash selection, that's for sure.  Taking this rebadged Sunpak 42 unit - that's been around for 10 years or so (making it the EF-42 for Fuji) - is a cheap and inadequate way to go to support such an expansive Fuji X system - wouldn't you agree?

Some sample images are on the following posting.  All images shot in RAW, AWB, ISO 800, Manual Mode (shutter speeds from 1/20 to 1/60 and the apertures between f4 and 6.3).  The EF-42 was used in bounce mode with the Gary Fong Lightsphere Dome attached.

Please note that the reason that the Exif information is not showing is because I converted the files from TIF to JPG using Irfanview (my preferred JPG converter) and it has not yet mastered maintaining exif data going from TIF to JPG.  If you convert from JPG to JPG, then the exif data is retained.  Go figure, but in confirming this with the developer for Irfanview, he confirmed that as of now, this is the only issue he has with Irfanview.

Images on the next posting....

-- hide signature --

Have a great one....
Bernd (Ben) W. Herrmann
North Carolina, USA
link

Ben Herrmann's gear list:Ben Herrmann's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Olympus C-7070 Wide Zoom Olympus E-10 Olympus E-20 Canon PowerShot G12 +30 more
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-T1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow