Fourth attempt at finding a properly centred 25mm - this time at Panasonic - yet again a failure

Started 1 month ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
MayaTlab0
Contributing MemberPosts: 968
Like?
Fourth attempt at finding a properly centred 25mm - this time at Panasonic - yet again a failure
1 month ago

The lack of proper quality control in this m43 system regarding lens centering is beyond belief - it's on another kind of rubbishness I've never ever witnessed elsewhere. But perhaps I've been lucky elsewhere. In any case I've stopped believing that I've been unlucky regarding m43 25mm lenses.

After three attempts to land on a properly built 25mm from Olympus (that's here : http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3688069 ), I decided to try my hand at a Panasonic 25mm. Guess what ? This one's too decentered, and just as grossly as the Olympus lenses.

Unfortunately a good, somewhat bright 25mm with decent AF is a necessity for me so I'm out of the system and will ask Olympus for a full refund of all the equipment I bought from them.

Here's a quick example of the issue with the Panasonic 25mm. The target is a stone wall 10 meters away from me, roughly perpendicular to the lens axis. The first picture is taken the camera in landscape orientation, the second one the camera upside down - this highlights a number of issues with decentering while eliminating the subject as a variable.

The first picture is a screen shot of a selected extract, the following two pictures full-res examples.

Then, an example from a Canon 40mm f2.8. It costs 200 euros as of now, and is much better centred than anything I've seen so far from Olympus and Panasonic.

Panasonic 25mm - extract

Pana 25

Pana 25mm - upside down

Canon 40mm

Canon 40mm

Canon 40mm upside down

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow