Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Mr Physics
Contributing MemberPosts: 685Gear list
Like?
The self-doubt of a 12MP guy
4 months ago

I've held the belief that you can express everything possible with 12MP. My 12MP cameras make me happy with the images that I can sometimes create with them. But I started thinking about these newer light-writing machines with so much more pixel density.

They speculated about and introduced the D810. I began to drool. I paid attention to those who have a D700 and then reported that their newly acquired D810 "blows them away" with image quality. Dang, I want me one of these new light-writing machine. They sound a lot like the one that I love to use but better in every little way. I quickly got an itch and an urge to have one of these machines.

I wrestled this urge to get NEW into remission (submission?). I keep clicking and admiring the images with the D700 and D90. Then KR posts this:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/comparisons/2014-07-29-dslrs/sharpness.htm#intro

...and then it occurs to me that maybe $3300 USD isn't too much of a expenditure to get a machine that I'll cherish for the next 5 years. If I dropped it down a waterfall 5 years from now, it would cost me about $12 USD per week to own one of those machines. If I could rent a D810 for $12 a week.......then that's what I'd be shooting with one right now. If I manage to hold on to my cameras when I'm in proximity to waterfalls and, resell them later, it would be even less to own a D810. Maybe just about $1 a day. If I dropped this much change down a sewer, I'd be temporarily frustrated and then walk away without a care in the world. My lens collection cost at least $4 a day to own and I'm not done yet. If I just spend 25% on a machine to mount a lens as the lens themselves, then that is a good deal.

Hmmm. Be quiet for a minute...I'm thinking.

Tony

Mr Physics's gear list:Mr Physics's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon D700 Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.8D +10 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon D90
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow