Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Just another Canon shooter
Senior MemberPosts: 3,252Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Portrait Combo?
In reply to Ido S, 2 months ago

Ido S wrote:

69chevy wrote:

If you are shooting at f1.2 for ISO purposes, a crop sensor would gain you some DOF but then cost you 2 stops since there is no crop sensor that even comes close in regards to noise.

2 stops? You've got to be kidding.

Sony a7S and Sony a6000. Perhaps the two best sensors at high ISO at their respective size formats.

I looked at the measurements for each over at DxOMark.com. Not the scores - I went straight to the Measurements tab, and then clicked on SNR 18%. Here's what I've found:

At ISO 12800, the a6000's SNR is 22.7 dB. The Sony a7S, at ISO 25600 (1 stop difference), is rated at 22.3 dB. Conclusion: The king of low-light of all 35mm full frame sensors, is just 1 stop better at high ISOs than the best APS-C sensor for low-light. Yup.

I wonder how often you shoot at ISO 12800? At "moderate" ISO like 1600, etc., the A7S is about 1.5 stop better, which is even better than the theoretical 1.17 (= log_2(1.5^2)).

Also, the crop sensor at f/1.2 will lose much more light due to microlens vignetting. Maybe not so much to raise the difference to two stops but it may get pretty close.

Just another Canon shooter's gear list:Just another Canon shooter's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L USM Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow