Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Portrait Combo?
In reply to 69chevy, 4 months ago

69chevy wrote:

PalmettoFellow wrote:

A crop sensor will allow you to have more DoF without stopping down...and in some cases, stopping down means raising ISO or lower shutter speed too much. So from an exposure perspective, there is an advantage (though I admit, it's a minor one). When it comes to DoF however, I agree that FF with DoF control is fine...but if you particularly want to shoot at F1.2, and the DoF is too shallow...maybe try it on a crop instead.

If you are shooting at f1.2 for ISO purposes, a crop sensor would gain you some DOF but then cost you 2 stops since there is no crop sensor that even comes close in regards to noise.

In some cases, yes.  In others, it will be very hard to distinguish one from another.

At ISO400 and below, I'd say it's hard to distinguish the noise from a modern crop to a modern FF.  Maybe even up to ISO800.  I dunno, I haven't really looked into this.

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow