ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Sener
Regular MemberPosts: 189Gear list
Like?
Upgrade D700 to D800... or Wait for Sony
2 months ago

Hello,

I have a D700 which I have not been able to quite enjoy yet. Last year I moved up to it from the D7000 but at some point, I got caught up with the mirrorles madness. Since 7-8 months I have been using a variety of mirrorless cameras such as Olympus E-M5, Fuji X-T1 and X100s.

Throughout the time I have gotten very much used to the stealthiness of mirrorless cams and loved the portability. I sold my D700 in the process.

But I could not let go of the FF'ness, the DOF control, RAW file flexibility, AF performance and, well, tradition. The small mirrorless cameras did not replace my DSLR habits, but instead they created their own segment in my hobby.

So three months ago I purchased another D700, for a quite steal price and in a pretty mint condition. Now that the D810 is released, I expect the D800 prices to come down.

But since the technology with mirrorless cams and EVFs is evolving rapidly and mirrorless cams present so many functions that the DSLR cannot or will not (large, bright EVFS and WYSWYG, Wi-fi control, portability, tilting screens, focus peaking, etc) I am finding myself unable to justify investing that money on a DSLR.

At the same time I wonder what the D800, touted as "having much better IQ, RAW headroom, dynamic range and high ISO than the D700" could bring me as an upgrade. Altough smitten by the JPEG quality of mirrorless cams, I am a RAW shooter at heart. I am not so sure about the AF performance tough.

Shortly, I cannot decide whether to go for a higher DSLR or wait for a possible game-changer Sony mirrorless FF.

My budget can allow me to go for both, but I don't want to get too invested in too much equipment. I have other hobbies.

Ideas appreaciated

Sener's gear list:Sener's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm 1:1.8 +2 more
Nikon D700 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow