Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Al Giordano
Contributing MemberPosts: 922Gear list
Like?
New D810 Feels like a new Camera model coming from the D800
2 months ago

I picked up my D810 yesterday.  I had been using the D800 for two years and shot 50k photos with it.

My initial impressions with the D810 are that it feels like a totally new camera model, not just an incremental upgrade.  Nikon did a fantastic job with this camera.  The ergonomics feel much better; Grip is more comfortable, AF-ON is slightly raised, and the camera feels lighter which makes single hand shooting (which I do a lot of) much less tiresome.  On the D800, my Thumb would actually start hurting after 1000 shots.

The Shutter, the shutter, the shutter!!!  It feels snappy, quiet, and confident.  I tried the quiet mode, but it just made the snap of the shutter sound longer and less impactful, but not necessarily more quiet.

Focus is the biggest improvement for me.  I tried the 24-120, 24-70, 105 Micro and every shot was dead on and quick to focus in a variety of lighting conditions.  I actually caught a small hawk roosting in a tree in my front yard 10 minutes after sunset.  Inside the tree was quite dark to the naked eye, but the 810 locked focus and got the shot - very impressive.   My keeper rate seems to have improved quite a bit.

I still haven't explored all the new features as yet.

I really have to give Nikon their due.  They did a wonderful job on this camera and they really deserve all the kudos; especially since they've been getting beat up quite a bit on the DF and the D600.

The D810 is a Winner!!

Al Giordano's gear list:Al Giordano's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR +10 more
Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow