Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
GlobalGuyUSA
Senior MemberPosts: 1,120Gear list
Like?
Bokeh? Sigma "35/1.4" & "50/1.4" A vs. Nikon "35/1.4" & "58/1.4" G
2 months ago

I've been hearing a general consensus that the Nikon 35/1.4 & 58/1.4 G-lenses have better bokeh than the Sigma 35/1.4 & 50/1.4 Art-lenses.  Do you find this is true?  Under what conditions -- in which shots -- can you tell the difference most readily?  And if they both have flaws at f/1.4 wide open, then how about Nikon's f/1.8s?

I am looking for illustrative examples (shots taken specifically for the bokeh).

Personally, I love bokeh -- but struggle to see the bokeh difference in typical f/1.4 images.

Add to that, the D810 shows many flaws & so use at f/1.4 for the Arts and the G's -- and is no longer as favorable as it was on a D700, meaning that Nikon's f/1.8 lenses come into play as possible competitors as well (especially given extremely good price and sharpness). Thus, I'm trying to understand if the different between Sigmas and Nikons bokeh at f/1.4 or f/1.8 or f/2.  And if the Nikon f/1.8 lenses give them a run for the money in bokeh.

I tend to favor Nikon lenses...  I don't own third-party lenses, because the only Sigmas I've ever used have been horribly mis-aligned (all of them) and decentered.  However, lenses like the Art series and Tamrons 150-600 are giving me pause for consideration.

-- hide signature --

Sincerely,
GlobalGuy

GlobalGuyUSA's gear list:GlobalGuyUSA's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +4 more
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow