Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
ralittle2
Contributing MemberPosts: 540Gear list
Like?
Feedback wanted from D700 users who switched to D800/810 & shoot sports
4 months ago

At the present time, most of my shooting is sports related.  I shoot with a D300s, and am generally very happy with it... until the lights go down.  I have rented both a D600 & D700 and like the bokeh you get with a FF sensor.  I was very impressed with the 24mp sensor of the D600.  Not so much the AF.  Now with the D810 out, and the slightly improved frame rate and the ability to shoot slightly faster in 1.2 or DX crop, coupled with the fact that I won't be shooting sports for too much longer, I'm starting to think a D810 might work just fine.  Sure I give up 1-2 fps, but I'm not sure that's as important as the person behind the lens.

I was holding out for a D400 or D750.  I don't think a 24mp D750 will appear, and the D400, while much better, still has the drawback of the inability to shoot in lower light situations.  D4/D4s are not in the bank account and are more camera than I need anyway.

So, I'd like to hear from folks who shoot sports or birds and have moved from a D700 to a D800/810, or even a D300, regarding their thoughts, both pro and con, of the D810.

As an aside, I got to thinking about Nikon's current sensors and how that may be a better predictor of future products.  I suppose the D4s sensor is model specific.  So a D5 probably might go with an as yet announced 18-20 mp sensor.  The D610 sensor seems to be used in only that camera as well unless a D5 moved up in resolution.  It would still make sense to me to bring out a speed camera based on the D610 sensor aka a D750.  The 24mp DX sensors, while there are a couple of differences seems to flush out the DX line of cameras, so a D400 could be based on the existing sensors with modifications to other aspects of the camera.

Thanks very much.

ralittle2's gear list:ralittle2's gear list
Nikon D300S Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +1 more
Nikon D300 Nikon D300S Nikon D4 Nikon D40 Nikon D4s Nikon D600 Nikon D610 Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow