PalmettoFellow
Contributing MemberPosts: 975Gear list
Like?
Re: Best Portrait Combo?
In reply to teseg, 4 months ago

teseg wrote:

Amamba wrote:

teseg wrote:

I have had a Sony RX1 for 1 1/2 years and absolutely love it for all manner of photography. So much so to the point that 95%+ of all my 10K+ photos since it was purchased have come from this lovely machine and several months ago I sold off all my cropped sensor equipment. When I would take crop sensor pictures the malleability and quality of the files were clearly inferior in many ways. The RX1 sensor + lens really makes an unbeatable combo. HOWEVER... I never have been into shooting portraits... until recently.

More recently my wife and son have started to appreciate my photographs and more and more have been asking I photography them or their friends at various functions. With a 35mm FL lens I have finally found the RX1's limitation.

What is the ideal camera body and lens for amazing portrait photography (make + model)? I'm interested in a FF body and ~90mm lens. Suggestions and samples appreciated.

You don't need a FF body, the best portraits I've ever shot were with a Canon APS-C DSLR and an $350 Canon EF85/1.8 - an amazing lens for colors, sharpness and bokeh. If I was only shooting portraits and could use only one lens, a T4i + EF85/1.8 would be my preferred combo.

Interesting observation that a FF camera does not add that extra something special for portraits. I suppose purely from bokeh/separation perspective there could be a FF advantage... but then with a f/1.2 to f/1.8 lens on a cropped camera it would not be much of an issue.

The more wide open you shoot your portrait, the less chance you have of having the whole face being in focus.  Crop cameras increase DoF already, so using f1.4 on a crop will give you better face focus than F1.4 on FF.  Your background may look better with FF, but your subject may not look as good if you can't nail the focus at those wide apertures.

PalmettoFellow's gear list:PalmettoFellow's gear list
Canon EOS 70D Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF 35mm f/2 IS USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow